At the beginning of the year, our social media swims with epic mountains overlaid with beautiful fonts spouting common phrases like “Every accomplishment begins with the decision to try” & “Dream it. Wish it. Do it.” The beginning of a new year always feels rejuvenating. There is an energy and pulse around everyone in January. As the year continues, the pulse fades rather quickly and everyone settles back into the humdrum of life. Why can’t our entire years be January – how’s that for a cheesy quote with a mountain behind it? Seriously though, for years, I’ve found myself saying, “Someday, I’ll publish my novel. Someday, I’ll publish my screenplay.” Well, my friends, 2017 is going to be my year because I am going to remove “someday” from my vocabulary and work towards my goals Every Damn Day!
In thinking about my personal goals, at the center is always my desire to create lasting happiness. I’ve struggled with depression throughout my life, and I have found that lasting happiness only occurs when I’m being creative and productive. Sure, I can eat healthier and lose some weight too, but I think if Happiness is my central goal, the desire to better myself physically and mentally will spiral from my pursuit of inner peace.
My 2017 Creative Goals:
- Finish writing novel with editor/coach
- Send off for publication by the end of 2017
- Publish at least 5 pieces in magazines, journals, anthologies, or collections
- Conduct at least 2 more writing retreats
- Go on a solo writing retreat – I’m hoping for a solo teepee
- Read publicly at least once this year
- Register and attend Writefest in Houston
- Successfully complete an on-line workshop
- Attend Texas Book Festival in Austin (I’ve missed it the last few years)
- Research potential MFA, PhD, and Writing Residencies
- Continue posting on Instagram and Blog regularly
- Participate in NaNoWriMo
- Write. Every. Damn. Day.
Instagram & Blog Goals
- Provide memorable and helpful content regularly
- Instagram – at least 5 posts per week
- Blog – at least 1 post per week
- Host a reading and a writing challenge on Instagram
- #2017WEDDBOOKBINGO – starting January 1
- Create a monthly writing challenge during NaNoWriMo
- Be authentic
- Establish relationships with my followers
On New Years Eve, I posted my first reading challenge to my Instagram followers to help inspire their reading quests. I plan to send prizes to those participating in the Bingo and hope to complete it myself in 2017! The Bingo card is posted below. The rules are simple. You can strive for a regular Bingo (5 in a row) or try to Blackout the entire card by 2018. My followers should be posting examples of what they are reading for each category and sharing the Bingo card with others in order to win swag 🙂 All of the awards will be related to literature and writing 🙂 Be sure to follow me on Instagram at write.every.damn.day
In order to ensure a successful completion of my personal goals, I’ve made several writing friendly spaces in my home. I fully intend to share those spaces with you in my next entry. Expect lots of pictures and creative ways to make every room in your house, the perfect space to write! In making your own space encouraging, it becomes easier to Write. Every. Damn. Day.